Due to the large number of items in our catalog, we are using stock photos for most products. This means that the item pictured in the catalog is a representative image of the product, but not always of the actual product that you should expect to receive. Because we carry multiple grades of each product and turn over our inventory often, it's simply not possible to photograph each item individually. We will always ship the best item available at the requested grade when you submit your order.
In some cases, such as early issues of FM's or some of the more rare items where we only issue is in stock we will use actual photos of the item for your viewing. We will note this in the description of these items when applicable.
Monsters Among Us, Inc. has been in the business of selling vintage magazines & fanzines for over 20 years. We try and be conservative when grading our products. Here's a grading guide that should assist you in understanding the format that we follow. We always try and be fair when grading. A grade is a grade no matter what age the magazine is.
Using the standard grade as set up in the Overstreet comic book grading guide and the 10 point grading system it corresponds with, The Grades are as follows:
- MT 10.0 - ABSOLUTLY PERFECT - HAS NOT ONE SINGLE FLAW
- MT 9.9 - Only 1 very very subtle Bindery defect allowed
- NM/MT 9.8 - Only minor imperfections (such as an almost unnoticable interior page tear (under 1/32 of an inch) or a small inconspicuous date stamp (must be very well hidden almost unnoticable
- NM+ 9.6 - same as 9.8 but with small almost imperceptible indentations allowed and/or slight staple discoloration
- NM 9.4 - same as 9.6 but with an up to 1/16 inch bend without any color break (no white showing through the color) also ever-so-slight blunting of the corners and a few VERY SLIGHT stress lines
- NM- 9.2 same as above but page color may be off-white to cream in color and that 1 cover crease can be 1/16 to 1/8 inch with no color break allowed
- VF/NM 9.0 - 1/8 inch bend with no color break, very minor foxing allowed, small amount of cover wear, several date stamps and or small hidden initials allowed, slight staple tears allowed - Minor Accumulation of stress lines allowed and some very minor interior tears allowed
- VF+ 8.5 - 1/4 inch cover crease with no color break allowed, Minor spine split with some minor color break allowed, Some slightly more noticeable stress lines allowed and paper can be Cream to Tan but must remain supple
- VF 8.0 - Same as 8.5 but with some very very minor spine roll -- Must lay almost completely flat
- VF- 7.5 - same as 8.0 but cover can have light cover soiling and some interior pages can have corner slight tears - Also cover can have some corner wear.
- F/VF 7.0 - Moderate reduction of cover reflectivity - minor creases allowed, minor foxing, interior cover yellowing, date stamps - initials - and store stamps are allowed, Slight rust migration allowed, Blunted corners, minor margin tears on interior pages allowed -- More and deeper stress lines allowed
- FN+ 6.5 - up to 1/4 inch spine split or severe color break are allowed - Minor spine rolls allowed and cover can have minor discoloration, staining and/or foxing as well as minor to moderate cover creases
- FN 6.0 - same as 6.5 But with a loose but attached centerfold
- FN- 5.5 - Same as above but with some Marvel Chipping present as well as some bundling ridges and minor abraded edges - also light pencil marks possible
- VG/FN 5.0 - Low cover gloss possible minor to moderate dimples and creases Present, up to 1/2 inch spine split, Moderate Rolling of the spine - May also have the begining of an acid oder
- VG+ 4.5 - Cover wear is moderate to significant - cover may be loose... Cover may be faded staples discolored, moderate staple tears up to 1" spine split, moderate stress lines moderate interior tears minor oder minor repairs and up to a 1/4 inch triangle or 1/8 square missing (must not effect story) + Pages can be brown but not brittle
- VG 4.0 - same as above but with heavy spine wear and brown staining on cover - also some pen and/or pencil writting is common but should not be excessive
- VG- 3.5 - same as 4.0 but with frayed edges, Oxidation shadows on the cover and Larger cover creases - with many dimples and abraded corners
- G/VG 3.0 - Very low or no cover gloss, cover may be detached on one staple, 1 1/2 inch spine split, Interior tears and larger up to 1/2 inch chunks missing (must not effect story) - staples may have been replaced and book length creases may be present
- GD+ 2.5 - same as 3.0 but may have detached (but present) centerfold or cover and rounded corners
- GD 2.0 - up to 2" spine split, Significant cover ware heavily rolled spine, rust migration on to the book, Acid oder -- BUT MUST BE FULLY READABLE
- GD- 1.8 - Major writting, heavy staining and light water damage possible
- FR/GD 1.5 - Cover - Creases tears and folds, May be detached and with considerable wear and staining - up to 1/10 of the back cover may be missing - one missing staple is acceptable and massive rust migration
- FR 1.0 - Cut Coupons (may effect story slightly) Chunks of cover missing centerfold may be missing, pages may be brittle, many tears and folds and creases are very large and many - Cover may be crumpled
- PR 0.5 - Massive water damage, Major damage effecting most of the book (ie. Dog chewed it) Running ink and Coverless books belong here